We must never underestimate the power of the individual to bring about change in the world. Your voice is important; but even more important are your actions.
1) Get informed! The U.S. book and newspaper industries combined require the harvest of 125 million trees each year and emit over 40 million metric tons of CO2 annually; equivalent to the annual CO2 emissions of 7.3 million cars.
To understand the social and environmental impacts of the Book and Newspaper industry start by reviewing our FAQ page.
2) Join our efforts to help reduce the impacts of publishing. Donate to our cause now and help us continue our work. Donate Now!
3) Engage your favorite book retailer in the cause. Ask them to sponsor a green books night, highlighting publications and authors demonstrating sustainable practices in production, printing and beyond. Start a green books club at their store, consciously selecting to read books produced in a sustainable way.
4) Write to your favorite publisher or newspaper to let them know you care about environmentally friendly publishing. Encourage them to establish an environmental policy and goals for transitioning to sustainable printing practices. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for sample letters.
5) Give your books and newspapers a second life. Pass on or donate your used books to a friend or your local library! And remember to always recycle your newspaper, paperback books and other paper goods.
6) Learn what other steps you can take at home or at work: