We must never underestimate the power of the individual to bring about change in the world. Your voice is important; but even more important are your actions.
1) Get informed! The U.S. book and newspaper industries combined require the harvest of 125 million trees each year and emit over 40 million metric tons of CO2 annually; equivalent to the annual CO2 emissions of 7.3 million cars.
To understand the social and environmental impacts of the Book and Newspaper industry start by reviewing our FAQ page.
2) Continue educating your customers through blogging and at events in your store.
3) Sponsor a green books night, highlighting publications and authors demonstrating sustainable practices in production, printing and beyond.
4) Start a green books club with books produced in a sustainable way Contact GPI or look to our industry leaders for suggestions of publishers. Check out the Eco-Libris green books campaign also.
5) Consider highlighting sustainably produced titles in a separate display area. Contact GPI for help.